Is there any reason your district can’t see a 10% baptismal growth in 2009, the Year of Evangelism? What a huge difference 10 new believers would make in a church of 100 members, or 50 new believers in a church of 5o0 members! “Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.'” Matthew 19:26.
You can see dramatic growth if you take these courageous steps at your next church board meeting. (You may need to postpone discussion of less vital items until the following month)–
- Schedule a Week of Fasting and Prayer sometime in the next 30 days. (Click here for what to do.) Give prayer cards provided by your conference to each member.
- Meet around the baptistry, pray that it will become an active part of church life this year then schedule a baptism for the first Sabbath of every month (or whichever Sabbath works best, on a potluck Sabbath if possible so the new members can be the guests of honor).
- Brainstorm a list of your best interests and take time during your church board meeting to pray for them by name.
- Use the Harvest Soul Winning Planning Sheet to identify ways God is already at work and new ways He wants to use your church to gather new believers into His movement.
- Sometime in the spring schedule some kind of reaping meetings. The Spokane Momentum series on DVD sent to each NPUC church and school is a great tool that any church or school can use. (For more information click here or check with your pastor or conference evangelism coordinator.)
- Put in place a plan to integrate newly baptized members rapidly into the movement. (Click here for three highly effective steps.)
- Let the board know that you would like to have soul winning as the top agenda item for each church board agenda during the year.
Here are three inspired reasons to put this plan into action–
- “The knowledge and powers that the Lord has given men and women will be largely increased as they work to build up His kingdom.” Evangelism p. 67.2
- “A minister cannot keep in the best spiritual frame of mind while he is called upon to settle little difficulties in the various churches. This is not his appointed work. God desires to use every faculty of His chosen messengers. Their mind should not be wearied by long committee meetings at night, for God wants all their brain power to be used in proclaiming the gospel clearly and forcibly as it is in Christ Jesus.” Evangelism p. 91.1
- “A rich reward will be given to the true workers, who put all there is of them into the work. There is no greater bliss on this side of heaven than in winning souls to Christ. Joy fills the heart as the workers realize that this great miracle could never have been wrought by human agencies, but only through the One who loves souls ready to perish.” Evangelism p. 333.3
Let us know what happens as the Lord ignites His people in carrying out His mission in your territory. You can find more resources at www.NPUCMomentum.wordpress.com.
Blessings to you,