The White Center Spanish Seventh-day Adventist Church in Seattle, Washington is the first church plant to qualify for a $10,000 grant from the NPUC under the new 30-30-30 Church Planting assistance guidelines.
Organized as a church May 9, 2009 with 145 members, the White Center congregation is focused on taking the Adventist message to the 43,000 Hispanics within a five mile radius of where they are located in Seattle, WA. Working in cooperation with their conference and union leaders, thirty of their members have been trained and equipped to give Bible studies and are actively involved in giving Bible studies this year.
Here are four of the factors in their rapid growth–
- Week of Reaping every month. Every month the group has a Week of Reaping, allowing those who were baptized last month to bring their friends to be make decisions for baptism this month, and then to bring their friends the following month.
- Weekly Small Groups. Every Friday evening small groups of members and interests meet in homes throughout the area and study the same materials. Recently they went through a study on the sanctuary. Other topics include church history, prophecy, Bible doctrines, etc.
- Spanish Radio Program and Immediate Personal Follow-up. Every Sunday morning a message by Seventh-day Adventist Evangelist Alejandro Bullon airs on a Spanish radio station. When people call in or email a request for a Bible and Bible study lessons church members who live nearby respond that week with a quick doorstep visit with the materials and a personal connection. This often results in the interested person/family soon joining a small group, attending church and making a decision at a Week of Reaping.
- Weekly potlucks without overwhelming the cooks. Every week at the church there is a potluck so members and visitors can get to know each other after being spiritually fed. To keep this ministry from becoming overwhelming to a few cooks the responsibility is distributed among groups of families. In this way each member family can enjoy a great meal ever Sabbath but only need to prepare food once a month.
Other interesting highlights about the congregation–
- First began meeting as a group of 18 members on December 8, 2007.
- Organized as a church company on July 19, 2008.
- Organized as a church on May 9, 2009 with 145 baptized members.
- The only Spanish-speaking Adventist congregation serving southern Seattle, Seatac, Burien, Tukwila and Des Moines. (Population 300k, Hispanics 43k).
- Have been involved in reaping meetings by Alejandro Bullon.
- On June 19, 2009 at the Washington Campmeeting a check for $10,000 was presented to the Washington Conference for the benefit of the White Center congregation by Dan Serns, NPUC Ministerial Director and Assistant to the President.
- Omar Grieve, Washington Conference Spanish Coordinator and Benjamin Figueroa, White Center Pastor have been especially instrumental in giving leadership to this group.