Many Seventh-day Adventists have heard of the Blue Zones Project where Adventists in Loma Linda, CA were featured as some of the longest living people in the world. A few months ago Caitlyn Becker, from the Huff Post Live, interviewed Dan Buettner, whose work is part of the Blue Zones Project, to find out what Adventists are doing right. Click here to find out what he said and click here to watch the full interview.
Category Archives: Sabbath
Almost universally, Sports have grown into a god that has no interest in remembering the Sabbath day to keep it holy (Exodus 20:8-11). But God still has those who love Him enough to be faithful to Him, even if they might have to give up carrying the Olympic torch on Sabbath. And never underestimate the powerful witness parents have on their children when they are faithful in honoring the Lord on His Sabbath. This video clip tells the story of Rita Bryant. Faith honors God and God honors faith!
- Bible Prophecy Truth website– Amazing resources at your fingertips from from Amazing Facts.
- Ellen White Answers– Provides good research to answer attacks on Ellen White and her writings. Maintained by Professor Jud Lake from Southern Adventist University.
- Dwight Nelson Sermon Series on The Temple– (Aug-Dec 09). Includes hot topics such as Creation/Evolution, Homosexuality, Nostradamus, etc.
- The Bible and Evolution article– Outstanding, simplified evidence and reasoning believers can share with skeptics.
- Creation Sabbath Resources– Great stuff, even after the fact!
- The Liberty Blog– Great up-to-date analysis of Continue reading
- Defending Adventist Fundamental Beliefs www.SDAforme.com (or sda4me.com). Various articles and discussions with Dale Ratzlaff, Desmond Ford and other on topics such as the Sabbath, Ellen White, Pre-Advent Judgment, the Gospel, the Law and Final Events. Maintained by Martin Weber, Communications Director for the Mid-America Union.
- Creation, Faith & Science. Seventh-day Adventist World Church President Jan Paulsen’s recent statement on faith, science and creation.
- Which Old Testament laws have universal application and which were for the Children of Israel? Jacques Doukhan shares a Bible study on this important topic in a 2006 issue of Shabbat Shaloam titled “The Torah: The Law of God”
- Clergy Sexual Abuse. Hope of Survivors Ministry (www.thehopeofsurvivors.com) helps victims of pastoral sexual abuse. This video clip describes the need for this ministry.
- When God disciplines us. When God chisels the dead weight out of our lives it can be very painful. In one of their most requested skits, Tommy and Eddie (“The Skit Guys” at www.theskitguys.com) give a very creative look at a typical believer having to go through the process of discipline. Click to watch video clip.
- Preach better sermons. www.BetterSermons.org provides Adventist tools for better preaching such as sermon outlines, videos, etc.
- Plusline Resources. If you haven’t checked out www.plusline.org recently you’ll be amazed at how you can find almost any North American Division event, resource, article or piece of information there.
“Since this post office box is for a new Seventh-day Adventist Church, can you find us one with lots of sevens in the number?” I jokingly asked the postal clerk.
He smiled. “I’ll see what I can do.”
We had recently planted the Abundant Life Seventh-day Adventist Church in Wenatchee, Washington as an effort to involve more members in ministry and to have more points of contact with the community. Our volunteer secretary, Amber Barber, told me they needed my signature to rent a post office box so we met at the post office one afternoon. Looking at the five sizes of boxes we decided to rent the second smallest size, and then waited in line for the first available clerk to help us.
When it was our turn to go to the counter a friendly man with the name “Emery” on his badge offered assistance. “Let me see what box numbers are available for that size box.”
Soon he returned with a list of about a dozen possibilities. Pointing at the first number on the list he said “Here’s one with some sevens in it.”
“P. O. Box 1774. That’s a good one,” I responded.
“Or you might be interested in this one.” He pointed to a number farther down his list.
The number jumped out at me. “How did you know we might want P. O. Box 1844*?” I asked amazed. Continue reading
Charles Osgood, “The History of Sunday”, CBS News Sunday Morning, February 1, 2009.
“Judith Shulevitz. In her upcoming book “The Sabbath World,” …is pushing for a return to laws that would shut down businesses one day a week.
“If everybody has to stop working, then they have to, sort of, pay attention to their family, to themselves, to their community,” she argues.
“So in this campaign, where do you even start?” Charles Osgood asks.
“I don’t pretend to have the answer in terms of legislation. I just start by trying to point out the benefits and to just say ‘Let’s remember the Sabbath. Let’s remember Continue reading
Have you ever wondered, perhaps not aloud, why God allowed some things into the Bible? Why was there a need for all those geneologies? Wouldn’t it be better if the Rich Man & Lazarus parable had been left out? Do we need the record of mass killings in the Old Testament? And why in the world was Colossians 2:16 included, especially when God knew that at the end of time there would be such vicious attacks against the seventh-day Sabbath? Continue reading
Have you ever had questions or doubts about how to best deal with Colossians 2:16 “Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day” (NIV)?
But not anymore. I just finished reviewing Judging the Sabbath: Discovering What Can’t Be Found in Colossians 2:16 by Ron du Preez, published in 2008 by Andrews University Press (Berrien Springs, MI). Continue reading
In January at the NAD Ministries Convention in Myrtle Beach, SC, there were a number of outstanding presentations. Here are two outstanding presentations that are worth watching.
Looking for a great new 16 part reaping series? “Living With Hope” is now available FREE online (and later on the NAD Pastors DVD #16) at www.LivingWithHopeSeminar.com. This 16-part Bible seminar sharing fundamental Seventh-day Adventist beliefs is a complete evangelistic toolkit including:
- Sermon manuscripts & outlines
- Editable sermon slides
- Participant handouts
- Marketing materials
- Event manual
- Evangelism training handbook
The topics covered are
- The Bible
- The Great Controversy
- The Second Coming Continue reading